Saturday, September 15, 2007

Talented Faculty

In 1973, Judy Arnette joined our Upper School faculty as a quiet, reserved, Phi Delta Kappa Latin teacher. At that time, she was also introduced to guitar and Blue Grass music. She has spent the last two decades developing herself as a Latin teacher, musician and song writer extraordinaire.

Last night, Linda, my wife, and I had the pleasure of gathering with Judy's many friends in her backyard to hear her and her group, Steel Magnolia's, perform. Judy's voice is warm and inviting, and her music is delightfully engaging.

We have many talented singers and musicians on the GDS faculty and staff. And, most of them have entertained us in the Theatre lobby before faculty meetings, performed in concerts as a member of a school ensemble, or have sung in Mixed Review, the all-school choir.

It is always a pleasant surprise when I discover that one of our teachers or staff has such a talent. Perhaps, you have had the same experience in knowing someone as an acquaintance or colleague and then finding out that they have an incredible artistic gift. For me, who loves music though I have struggled to learn guitar and hold my own in choir, it brings a deeper appreciation for the dedication and talent that my colleagues have developed.

From the embracing smile and joy that Judy shared with us last night, I know that she is leading a fulfilling life through her love of music and the many friends she has made through her performances. I know that others, like Judy, are leading lives enriched by connecting with others who share a passion and love for something beyond their professional lives.

How grateful I am that we have so many "Judy's" who model for our students a life filled with artistic grace.

No comments: