Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Gathering

Our entire faculty and staff gathered at eight o'clock this morning in the theatre lobby to formally kick off the new school year.

It's a pretty amazing sight to see over 180 people warmly and enthusiastically exchanging hugs and greetings after three months of being apart. The lobby was filled with a wonderful cacophony and energy that pervaded the air as we moved into the Bell Family Theatre for our first meeting.

While quietly standing before a sea of expectant, smiling faces I thought about opening the session by saying "I missed you" but what came out was, "Thanks for coming back!"

It is said that such Freudian slips show what we are really thinking and, in this case, it was true. I was extremely grateful and relieved that they had returned (as I had been secretly harboring exaggerated fears of what I would do if no one came back). How could I possibly do by myself, or hire others to do, what this group of dedicated professionals do, year in and year out, in support of our students and families?

We really have much to be grateful for in this faculty and staff. They represent a wonderful range of ages and experience, a growing presence of diversity and an energetic desire to continue elevating their teaching and professional skills.

I did miss them, and I'm glad they're back.

No comments: