Sunday, March 11, 2007

Donna Halevy

Last Saturday, over 400 people joined together in the Sloan Theatre to honor the life of Donna Halevy. The service was graciously led by Ralph Davison, my predecessor and a personal friend of Donna's. Many people spoke eloquently of Donna's humor, spontaneity and genuineness. It was obvious that she was a very special person and will be missed.

My first encounter with Donna left a lasting impression. During a visit to the Day School last January, I was asked to meet with a group of parents in the Lower School Media Center as part of my interview process. When the meeting began, an older gentleman and former school parent, began grilling me with pointed questions about my background and ability to do the job. As time wore on, a bit of tension began to build in the room, and from the back a voice piped up saying something to the effect of, "I don't care for the line of questioning this man is using. Mr. Hale is a guest in our community, and I believe that he should be afforded a better welcome." The gentleman yielded, and we were able to move on with questions and answers.

In over 30 years of working in schools and working with groups, I had never had anyone come so strongly to my defense. Donna showed me that being a part of the GDS community means being gracious, accepting and supportive of others. While I didn't have an opportunity to meet Donna that day, it was her spirit that made me know that I had found the school community I wanted to join.

After my appointment as Head of School last spring, one of the first letters of welcome I received was from Donna. As this school year began, we had several warm conversations, and I told her how much I appreciated the support she had given me.

In her one short statement last January, Donna let me know what the GDS community values, and I will always remember and cherish her for it.

No comments: